3.5 Lb Jersey Pattern Miners Axe; 26" straight handle
3.5 lb.Jersey pattern single bit axe with 26" straight handle. Known as a miner's axe, the tool features a short handle used for close quarters work. Cutting edge is approximately 5" of overall length and the poll is square.
- Forged steel head. Made in USA.
- Hand sharpened, tapered bit for cutting and splitting.
- ANSI Standards call for bit hardness of Rc 45-60, at least 1/2 inch back from the cutting edge. CouncilTool internal standards call for tempered bit hardness of Rc 48-55 and we target 1-1/4 inches from the cutting edge. The poll and eye walls are not hardened and remain in the as forged condition.
- Head coated with red enamel and cutting edges in clear lacquer to deter rust.
- 26" straight American hickory handle. Eye section is dried to below 10% moisture content to minimize shrinkage and help prevent loosening.
- Axe head is hydraulically seated onto handle and secured with a serrated aluminum wedge. The serrated shape improves bite and the aluminum choice of material is strong, lightweight and does not change size with moisture content.
- The interior detail of the eye is tapered and allows for a strong mechanical bond. Approximately 1/2" of the overall length of the handle is removed during assembly.